Friday, October 3, 2008

Fall Foliage Weekend

The first weekend of October is my absolute favorite time of the year. Maybe even more so than Christmas. I never realized it fully until this past Friday. I was getting ready to leave work when someone asked me what I had planned for the weekend. I rattled off a long list of things and as I did, an excitement washed over me.

Fall Foliage in this area is a big thing. It spans over three weekends of activities that satisfy the young through the old. It is a time for socializing, following decade old traditions, and appreciating mother nature.

Besides the spectacular scenery, the first weekend of October also brings the annual Children's Parade on Friday night, the Charity Bed Race on Saturday afternoons, an array of dinner and entertainment options for Saturday evening, and then Sunday is the Fall Foliage Parade. I love walking through the downtown area first thing in the morning. I can feel the excitement of the parade. The spectator stands have been set up on Main Street, the yellow tape has been roped from the trees as an attempt to keep people off the streets, hundreds of people have already set up their chairs or are in the process of doing so, street vendors are beginning to set up their carts, and children are anxiously waiting to see the firetrucks, floats, Shriners' go-carts, and fabulously talented high school marching bands.

The weekend proved to be everything I expected plus more. I had the pleasure of watching a couple of youth football games and the first hockey game of the year! Molly's girls' team beat the IceCats 3-1. She did great. And, best of all, I crashed in on my brother's class' 20 year reunion and was able to catch up with some old friends that I haven't seen in way too many years. Everyone looked great and had an awesome time. I am glad I decided to go.

No comments: