Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Sign Read: Will Work for Food

Times are tough for a lot of people in this country. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't talk about how hard it is to make ends meet. Health insurance, food costs, heating fuels and gas have so many of us struggling. Basic needs are not being met for so many.

Teachers' assistants in our schools get paid every two weeks. They work 30 hours a week. Their paycheck, for 60 hours of work, providing education and guidance to our children is a measly $8.00 after the cost of family health insurance is deducted. I read that in the paper the other day and I can't stop thinking about it.

Then today I saw something and I had no idea what to do but felt compelled to do something. A man was standing next to his bicycle with a cardboard sign that read "Will Work for Food". Now I don't live in a big city so this is not something you see very often, if ever, around here. The man had two medium sized bags that I am assuming hold all his belongings and sewn to one of the bags was a tiny American flag.

I instantly had tears in my eyes. I had no idea what to do. I wanted to stop and give him money, but I had none to give. I just spent the only money I had left, I put $10 worth of gas in my gas tank. Then I thought, well maybe he can mow my grass and I can give him some food. But I don't have too much in the fridge or the cupboards and I don't get paid until Friday to replenish. So I drove by him, I waved, and I sit here an hour or so later and hope that things somehow work out for him. And wonder what can be done.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Poor guy. You can't beat yourself up for not doing anything when you weren't able to. Maybe you'll see him again and next time will have a few spare dollars or better stocked cupboards. You have to do the best you can.

I don't know what to do about it either, but the events of the last couple of weeks have me feeling really uneasy.