Friday, September 5, 2008

Former 90210 Junkie

I will admit that Beverly Hills 90120 was must-see TV for me during its run many years ago. It was like sweet pain for me. I would have to see it, week after week, year after year, but then while watching I would beat myself up for wasting my time. The acting was always horrendous, the chemistry between characters was laughable, and Andrea was always called Aundrea which drove me crazy. And what was up with the characters...Brenda overreacted (and overacted) everything, Donna was supposedly a virgin but after her real-life implants she wore the sluttiest outfits, Dylan's head was always tilted to one side which made me want to slap it back into place, Kelly was the worst friend you could ever have, and Andrea just plain irritated me. Just looking at her irritated me.

Yet, there I was, continuously being drawn into everything 90210. Well, not everything, it's not like a bought a Brenda doll after all. But I did follow all the Shannon drama printed in the tabloids and soaked up all the entertainment news for all of them. And I I even felt an ache in my heart during the high school graduation episode.

I have been without television since 2001. I have not had must see TV for years. But something happened this summer. I could feel myself being drawn to something. Every time I logged onto Yahoo, or stood in line at the grocery store, I saw the pictures and I read the articles. 90210 was coming back! I didn't realize how big that draw was until last night, at about 8:05 pm. At some point yesterday I heard or read that the new version of 90210 was premiering on CW at 8:00 pm. I didn't consciously think anything of it. Then when I was at the grocery store I automatically picked up the newest issue of US Magazine which had Shannon Doherty on the cover.

After the kids were settled, which was surprisingly early last night, I started flipping through the magazine. And I couldn't focus on anything because I kept wondering how Brenda and Kelly's characters were going to be worked into the new series. And what have they been up to the past 10 years. After about 10 minutes, I told Molly that I was going to Grandma's house for an hour or so and to call me if they needed anything. And then I rushed over to catch up with my old "friends".

And I am very happy to say, that aside from the very hunky Rob Estes, there is nothing about this show that will have me rushing over to my mother's house again. I am not sure if this means that I have outgrown it or that it was that bad but needless to say, I am no longer a 90210 junkie...... Til they bring back more of the old characters that I love to hate!

No comments: