Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Morning of Teenage Angst

It was bound to happen. Things have been going just too well. In fact, I was just telling a good friend yesterday that the kids have been awesome and that we have been doing things every weekend for a month now and have had the best of times. Sliding a few times, watching a few high school hockey games, a nice dinner out, going for a couple of walks, visiting with some friends, playing games and singing along to the radio on the way to out of town hockey games. It has actually been fun hanging out with the kids. No major battles or backtalk. No screaming or playing the blame game. No sarcastic words and rolling of the eyes. Did I mention no backtalk?

But all good things must come to an end. And the end was this morning. As of now, Cody is grounded for the weekend AND he has to do dishes AGAIN tonight and Molly, well she can't ever seem to just shut her mouth when we are having words. She always has to get the last word in and it is always a word that pushes me over the edge. This morning it was "awesome" after I told her that she needed to stop with the attitude. But I don't think it was so much the backtalk, I think it was more the attitude of when she said it, staring at her image in the mirror with a smirky kinda curve to her lips, totally not even looking at me. WTF?!

1 comment:

Minnesota Girl said...

my man has a soon-to-be 13 year old and we are dealing with something similar. it really is incredibly irritating and kind of makes you want to slap them! this is definitely a part of growing up that is NOT fun to deal with. then again, i was a pretty shitty teenager myself, so i guess payback is a B in my case! ugh!

my daughter is seven right now, but i have a feeling i am in for a WORLD of hurt as she gets older. double ugh!