Monday, January 19, 2009

Yet Another Great One

The weekend was awesome. The kids were awesome. The games were awesome. And, in my opinion, the weather was awesome too!

We headed to Springfield on Saturday morning for a 10:00 hockey game. We won by 2 goals and the kids really played together as a team. There were only a few penalties, there was plenty of passing, lots of shots on goal, and some great saves. Molly is doing so great on defense. Not too many people get by here, she just plucks the puck right away! Cody had a solid game and a few shots on goal himself. After our game we stopped over to Rink 2 to catch the rest of the PeeWee game. It was good to sit and watch hockey with some of the parents on that team. I miss them!!

Saturday night we went to the high school game and watched tons of hits, a few fights, rowdy fans, crazy (and I don't mean "crazy busy" like the meaning behind my blogname) parents, and quite a few temper tantrums. It was like daycare on steroids.

Sunday morning we had a home game against a local team. Molly and Cody played so well together and when they weren't a defensive team, then they were giving each other "congrats taps" on their way on/off the ice. Cody's game is back (I think he has been holding back a bit since hurting a kid with a legitimate check and getting illegally checked and hurt a few games back). He protected the goalie, he pushed some kids into the boards, he fought for the puck, and he had fun doing all of it. Molly stole tons of pucks, battled it out in the corner with the biggest opponent, and started to FINALLY communicate with her teammates. The coach for the opposing team is her coach for the girls' team and he was impressed with her defensive playing (she plays a wing on his team).

Later in the day we were back at the rink for open skate. Rylee skated for an hour and half while I worked the concession stand. Yes you read that right, my 4 year old skated all by herself! And she loved it. Her little friend Bella was there and her big friend Kate was there and she just had the best time. At one point, I caught a glimpse of her as she was pulling on her skates and I was filled with so much pride. I am always amazed by her but at that moment, I was just so proud of the little girl she has become.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm in awe that your 4-year-old can skate on her own. That is truly the coolest thing ever!

(And it makes me realize I really have to get mine on skates ASAP before they lose their fearlessness).

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! And wow! for Rylee - my goodness. My 5 and 6 year old are avoiding their rollerblades like something vile and repulsive.If I persuade them to pull them on, we're guaranteed about 2 minutes of actual attempted skating, and 15 minutes of actual complaints and moans about how they don't wanna! Oh well, try and try again, right?

Shelley said...

It helps that Rylee has two much older siblings to help out. She wants to do everything they do!