Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year

I have never been one to make goals with the beginning of each New Year. I have never been one to look foward to one year ending and a new one beginning. I have always kind of had an issue with letting go when it's time to let go. The time leading up to both my 8th grade and high school graduations were more sad than exciting for me. The end of every hockey season leaves me mopey for a couple of days, the end of each "stage" the kids goes through makes me wish I could freeze time, even the end of a good book leaves me sad. To be honest, it can be pretty silly at times. Like when I traded in my truck for the Xterra I now own....I was secretly wishing the deal wouldn't go through and I teared up every time I glanced out the window and saw my big blue monster in the lot. I really am that silly!!!

But the past two years have been very hard for us and I can honestly say that I have no reason to not be happy they are over and excited for 2009. And with that excitement, I seem to have strung along a few goals (and needs) for myself. I have done a tremendous job of really getting things on track for the kids and I and I can't help but continue that progress.

One was that I wanted to take the time to actually read a few books this year. With the exception of required reading for school, it has been 9 years since I have read a book. 9 years!!! The last time was when I took the kids to Disney World and read in between their naps and swimming. So, at the stroke of midnight on New Years, I whisked the kids off to bed, opened up my closet, plucked a book from the shelf, and read 3 chapters. The next morning, while Ry colored and read her own books, I continued to read and because it was a lazy day for us, I ended up finishing the book that evening.

Another goal is that I want to get back into the habit of reading to the kids at night. Even Molly and Cody. Over time, we somehow lost that and I want that back. So today, we stopped at the library and picked out a book for me to read to them and a couple of books for each of us to read on our own. This would never have happened if we hadn't slowed things down a bit. We have been so out straight for so long that we have had to learn how to relax again.

I need to get healthy again. I have always worked out and enjoy it but this year I need to step it up a notch or two. I need to work myself a little harder and I am hoping to run at least one half a marathon this year.

I need to spend some one on one time with the kids. They need individual attention and I need to provide that to them. My plan is for Cody and I to begin an indoor archery league next week and for Molly and I to participate in some sort of writing workshop, or something similar, if there is anything like that around here. If not, we can just hang out or go to a movie or whatever she wants each week.

I need to have some time to myself as well. It's so easy to get caught up in doing things for everyone else and the kids but this year, I want to find a hobby or something that I can enjoy for me.

So those are my goals for this year. Pretty basic but definitely worthwhile.

No comments: