Monday, December 29, 2008

Classic Ry

Rylee has always been very independent. She weaned herself from my breast, she potty trained herself, she has dressed herself for a couple of years now, she puts her own diaper on at night before bed, she picks out her own clothes, and she picks up after herself. About the only thing she needs me for is to wipe her bum after a bowel movement.

So I was a little surprised last night when she yelled to me from the bathroom. The conversation went like this:

RY: Mom, can you wipe me?

MOM (surprised since we had just done this an hour ago): Why did you poop?

RY: No. I just don't want to have to wash my hands after.

MOM: Rylee, you can wipe yourself and then wash your hands. (Hmmm, I wonder why she's so independent?)

A few minutes later Rylee emerges from the hallway asking if I can buckle her belt. Something was fishy. I looked her in the eye and asked if she washed her hand. She looked me right in the eye and said "No, I didn't wipe."

So I guess I can now add Reasoning to her list of skills.

Then we had a talk about bladder infections and germs in the bathroom. I think she'll be washing her hands AND wiping every time now.

No comments: